First round of Fallout 4 Reviews

Yeah, I've checked the stats, and the X-something armor should be quite good.

Then again, how pointless, really, I'm L50+, I only got radiant quests left, and the only concievable activity of any purpose that I can do is:
1. Build on my settlements. What for? Just to pat myself on the shoulder?
2. Find that elusive enclave armor, one piece at the time.
I'm re-visiting the Atom Cats often, just to check their shop. So far I've only found the helmet in the Prydwen

There are a few locations where it spawns almost always above level 40. One is below the Abandoned Shack in the Glowing Sea, the other is on top of 35 Court.

I really don't where this whole bullet-sponge nonsense is coming from. Just yesterday I got attacked by my first legendary Deathclaw and I killed him in 5 shots (1 was a VATS critical) using my double-barrel shotgun with a med x + psycho and psychojet combo. So far I haven't encountered much difficulty after getting my power armor. I don't know, maybe because I don't see killing raiders with 3 shots from a .50 caliber rifle as bullet-spongy.

I really don't where this whole bullet-sponge nonsense is coming from. Just yesterday I got attacked by my first legendary Deathclaw and I killed him in 5 shots (1 was a VATS critical) using my double-barrel shotgun with a med x + psycho and psychojet combo. So far I haven't encountered much difficulty after getting my power armor. I don't know, maybe because I don't see killing raiders with 3 shots from a .50 caliber rifle as bullet-spongy.

Before I got ahold of that mod I was in combat with a raider that took around 6 mines, a good amount of 45 rounds(I think 20 something) on a combat rifle that did around 80 damage. The first Deathclaw with Preston took all the minigun rounds(I think it gives you almost 1000) and every other rounds I had in my other weapons too. I was in sneak most of the time and it took forever to kill it, the damn thing wasn't a legendary either. If that's not bullet spongy then I don't what is.

That first Deathclaw is supposed to be strong since you fight it early on in the game (the skull next to it's name is good hint to), but if you just used psycho + psychobuff combo in that combat and it wouldn't be to hard killing the thing. I did that and I had about +500 rounds left after the battle. And at least that battle on survival felt like you're actually had to do more than just spray and pray when facing one of the strongest creatures in Fallout universe.

It would be, if the game didn't give the PA on a silver plate to you. Eh, but I guess since some people still manage to die from that encounter, I guess it is difficult in Behtesdian terms.

Well it seemed like it, but to me on survival mode PA is a necessity rather than a "power fantasy" toy, but it would feel even more so if fusion cores weren't so easy to get.

I understand it was a strong enemy and yes I know what the skull means, but the fight was very boring and took forever to kill it since it kept sucking up bullets and the only tactics it used was walking into walls instead of making the fight interesting. I did try using those drugs before but I never noticed much of a difference. I still say vanilla survival difficulty is bullet sponge territory unless there's a way to exploit the gun nut perk to allow your weapons to do 1,000 points of damage.

In Fallout 4 the Deathclaw already showed behaviors which previous titles didn't, like running all four at you then grabbing and shoving his claw at you, not to mention he could hit the ground knocking everything away from it. Don't make it sound like 'walking into walls' is the only thing he always does. Also if you don't see the difference in damage while using chems then you definitely weren't using enough. Just a psycho + pshychobuff gives you 50% of damage increase, along with psychojet you get 75%. Now add the appropriate damage perks based on the weapon you mostly use and you already pack a punch with every shot and with better criticals perk you can take half of the health bar out with one critical depending on how higher the level of the enemy you're facing is.

I talk to the Atom Cats chick, to barter. She agrees, but before I can barter, she wanders away, and out of dialog, and I have to click her again

She agrees to barter a second time, but wanders away again, so I have to click on her again

She agrees to barter a third time, but turns around - wanders out of dialog and away, and I VATS and blow her brains out.
The other Atom Cats are perfectly fine with this, and after struggling around w their kitchen-dude some, I am finally able to barter..........

(also, this is the most murderous I've been in any game, I am typically very reluctant to needless violence in role play games, but this game just pisses me off. I tried to kill Preston for all of his incessant bullshit, but he was unkillable. I am probably gonna kill a bunch more friendly people/traders in this travesty of game)

Aaaaand I didn't even get to try out the fffucking enclave armor, before a settler/companion took it, went into the wilderness with it, and left it there somewhere. God fucking damn how I am beginning to hate this game...

Last edited:
I talk to the Atom Cats chick, to barter. She agrees, but before I can barter, she wanders away, and out of dialog, and I have to click her again

She agrees to barter a second time, but wanders away again, so I have to click on her again

She agrees to barter a third time, but turns around - wanders out of dialog and away, and I VATS and blow her brains out.
The other Atom Cats are perfectly fine with this, and after struggling around w their kitchen-dude some, I am finally able to barter..........

(also, this is the most murderous I've been in any game, I am typically very reluctant to needless violence in role play games, but this game just pisses me off. I tried to kill Preston for all of his incessant bullshit, but he was unkillable. I am probably gonna kill a bunch more friendly people/traders in this travesty of game)

Aaaaand I didn't even get to try out the fffucking enclave armor, before a settler/companion took it, went into the wilderness with it, and left it there somewhere. God fucking damn how I am beginning to hate this game...

Weird, I didn't have any of those problems so far. Nobody turned away before I could start bartering, and no settler stole any of my armours so far (they do the "crafting animation", though. Maybe they don't take them when they're in power armour stations).

/edit: I took Curie as a companion now, and I thought it would be a bit harder to improve her status with me because there's barely anything left to do but Minutemen killquests, but it doesn't really matter, it didn't take long.

Last edited:
Weird, I didn't have any of those problems so far. Nobody turned away before I could start bartering, and no settler stole any of my armours so far (they do the "crafting animation", though. Maybe they don't take them when they're in power armour stations).

This is what I've seen too

I'm OCDishly gathering my PA's at Red Rocket, only one is placed in a station, the others are here and there, inside the building.
I've searched the immediate surroundings now, and nothing. I've read elsewhere that during fights, they might chase enemies far, and eventually leave their armor wherever they end up -.-
And turning-away-during-dialog happens all the time with companions, it's driving me insane. The thing is, most vendors stand still, behind their counter - but the Atom Cats chick does indeed wander about, like a companion would

Edit, since companions typically don't wear the helmet, and no helmets were found in inventories, and the armor is nowhere to be seen, I am suspecting one of the provisioners took it. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that they'll take your armor and hide it well :D Deep into the wilderness, unlike your settlers, who will simply leave it nearby after use (or keep wearing it, forcing you to kill them. Yay Bethesda!)
By the way, my provisioners are usually naked. Yay Bethesda!

Last edited:
So I got a "radiant quest" about rescuing a kidnapped settler. The mission gave me the optional objective of paying the ransom, but the ones who took the settler where Super Mutants.... Who attack on sight so no idea how th fuck can I even py the ransom? These Radiant Quests were so obviously thrown together at the last minute, the don't even keep track of the kind of enemy they are designating before generating the quest objectives...

So I got a "radiant quest" about rescuing a kidnapped settler. The mission gave me the optional objective of paying the ransom, but the ones who took the settler where Super Mutants.... Who attack on sight so no idea how th fuck can I even py the ransom? These Radiant Quests were so obviously thrown together at the last minute...

I think you pay the ransom to the settler who gives you the quest.

When I talk to them thy just ask me if I have done it already and Mr. 111 just asks for trading....

http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...916/D83CEAA57F0502030FE963DA12254FF576938D4E/

http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...631/A46642D4266F67DAFEFB2E0AB83BEB4BE0056353/

http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...743/880A684CAD8FE1CDE2BBC151D01DD794680B137E/

http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...380/541399338188BB4624BC8A64C804C04835532321/

I have everything on Ultra yet it looks dreadful at times and have better distance in other games, suffer huge FPS drops when simply standing in front of a door and using scope on it. 2x GeForce GTX 970, Windows 8.1 64bit, 32gig RAM, i7 4790k 4ghz 4ghz. I blame consoles for this pisspoor optimizing.

So I got a "radiant quest" about rescuing a kidnapped settler. The mission gave me the optional objective of paying the ransom, but the ones who took the settler where Super Mutants.... Who attack on sight so no idea how th fuck can I even py the ransom? These Radiant Quests were so obviously thrown together at the last minute, the don't even keep track of the kind of enemy they are designating before generating the quest objectives...

At some point, whenever I returned to Preston, he only had 2 different radiant quests to give me - as in, the exact same two locations and quests (I was trying to boost Curies "like" by accepting good-guy quests, while having finished the real quests.. )
It became more and more absurd, especially since I would be resquing the same idiot from the same raiders over and over :D

I don't know why it only fluctuated between two quests, I had plenty more settlements it could have chosen from, but it stuck to these two, repeating them ad nauseam

And yes, like Hass says, you pay the settler. It's a short-cut, so that you can take radiant quests - and not have to do them. Victory!

Edit, and yes again, I also came across Curie in late game, and thought it would be tricky to raise her like, but you only have to take a big bunch of minutemen quests, alternatively, shoot dogmeat and heal him a lot :V

Last edited:
And yes, like Hass says, you pay the settler. It's a short-cut, so that you can take radiant quests - and not have to do them. Victory!

To be honest, I'm thankful for this option. I couldn't be arsed to go and wipe out another generic hive of raiders. I do those radiant missions to get rid of them from my quest list more than anything. And annoyingly enough, I get more of them every time I visit the Castle/talk to Preston Gravy.
That's why I only once asked for a radiant quest from BoS, they are boring and... radiant, as in, generic.

To be honest, I'm thankful for this option. I couldn't be arsed to go and wipe out another generic hive of raiders. I do those radiant missions to get rid of them from my quest list more than anything. And annoyingly enough, I get more of them every time I visit the Castle/talk to Preston Gravy.
That's why I only once asked for a radiant quest from BoS, they are boring and... radiant, as in, generic.

I know, I will simply avoid the stupid quests

Here's a tip I came across though - when you report back to Preston - as soon as he says "I have something else for you", run for your life, litterally. This will complete the previous quest, without starting a new one. Make sure you don't run into walls and stuff ;D (there are some times I have to try several times, because I back myself up into walls, fail at escaping him, and he pins more quests on me. You need a bit of a distance from him, before he stops addressing you. There's a bit of fine timing to it, but you gotta let him START describing the next quest, even if it seems counter-intuitive - then just run for it!)

This won't work if you are told to report to him for another quest, because he will then start by giving you a quest, for then to allow you to report back to him. I got 4 quests from him one time, simply by trying to report back :D
But yeah, if you only want to finish a quest HE gave you, then it'll work - approach him - report back - run!

I once got a minutemen quest while I was exploring the random wilderness. I'm almost certain this has to do with me escaping one such dialog from a settler wanting me to resque a kidnapped person. I backed out of the dialog, ran off, and somehow this "lingered" in the system, untill the quest was suddenly forced on me hours later, while I was miles away.
Once it was, it was broken, and there were no quest-markers to follow, and eventually I was able to report my failure back to Preston, and have the quest removed from the list.
They truly are annoying these radiant quests...

Last edited:
Back