Heavy Rain: What has been Watched can not be Unwatched

Professor Danger! said:
Bahahahaha! So essentially this is both the stupidist and the easiest game ever made. Ahhhh....consoles...the definition of dumbed down.
HAHAHA

NO.

PC Elitists seem to forget they have their share of dumbass games. Ever hear of Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing?

Blame the dumbasses who made the game, not the console gamers.

OakTable said:
PC Elitists seem to forget they have their share of dumbass games. Ever hear of Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing?

Yes. That's a bad game, not a dumb game.

Not saying there's not plenty of dumb games in the history of PC gaming. That's just not a good example.

Myron Rolle said:
OakTable said:

Not saying there's not plenty of dumb games in the history of PC gaming. That's just not a good example.
Fine. Does Counter-Strike count? It's got the same kind of crowd Halo garners, but worse, as they can spray pictures of people eating their own feces everywhere and play annoying sound macros.

Oh, CounterStrike hella counts.

Hell, the whole multiplayer gaming scene pretty much invalidates any attempt to be a PC snob.

So I watched some new gameplay videos on Youtube. You get a lot of cosmetic choices like either standing or sitting while someone is talking, looking out the window while someone is talking, walking around while someone is talking etc. Most of the time you're given one choice, though. The dialogue seems like the only exception, but I don't know if the different dialogue options actually lead down different paths. Also, the voice acting is kinda mediocre to slightly crappy. And when I look at the comments a lot of people are actually saying that this is awesome and innovative and a "new style of game" :roll:.

OakTable said:
Myron Rolle said:
OakTable said:

Fine. Does Counter-Strike count? It's got the same kind of crowd Halo garners, but worse, as they can spray pictures of people eating their own feces everywhere and play annoying sound macros.

Wait so bad crowd equals dumb game? How about the fact that in Counter Strike you can kick whoever is being an asshole? I have a couple of favorited servers that don't ever have anything of the sort.

Neither Counter Strike nor Halo is a dumb game. They may provide mindless fun but that's not the same. It's definitely not the same dumb as Heavy Rain.

maximaz said:
OakTable said:
Myron Rolle said:
OakTable said:

Wait so bad crowd equals dumb game? How about the fact that in Counter Strike you can kick whoever is being an asshole? I have a couple of favorited servers that don't ever have anything of the sort.

Neither Counter Strike nor Halo is a dumb game. They may provide mindless fun but that's not the same. It's definitely not the same dumb as Heavy Rain.

Wasn't Halo supposed to be a completely different sort of game, until they "dumbed" it down?

As far as I know, it was supposed to be an RTS. They then decided to make it an FPS. Not as much dumbing down as making something completely different.

maximaz said:
As far as I know, it was supposed to be an RTS. They then decided to make it an FPS. Not as much dumbing down as making something completely different.

Well, yeah. I guess it depends on how you look at it. RTS involves a little more brainpower than just shooting at shit. Well, unless you suck at RTS and just throw a mob of your guys and the mob of other guys.

Professor Danger! said:
Well, yeah. I guess it depends on how you look at it. RTS involves a little more brainpower than just shooting at shit.
I wouldn't agree with that. I suppose it could be used as a bit of a general statement, but I guess thats why I'm usually drawn to FPS games that are very difficult and punish the typical run-and-gun behaviour. Not to say that can be a lot of fun when you just want to see a few explosions and a corridor full of ragdolled bodies :wink:

The arcade-type pew pew games (Duke3d, Doom) were so much more fun than the shooters that attempt to emulate the same experience these days. They always screw it up by attempting to look more intelligent with weak stories, cutscenes, or some lame mechanics that just get in the way. Duke Nukem Forever... why did you have to be canceled!

Back on topic: This game intrigued me when I first learned of it and did some research. But upon seeing some gameplay videos and hearing some of the serious drawbacks, I've lost all interest I had in the game.

Shaking the controller reminds me of a really bad live-action game I played once...

Oh! I think I'll put that up in the guess-the-game thread!

Starseeker said:
You are looking forward to another rehash of the same platform game they've been making for the last 20 yrs?
:rofl:
Except they haven't made a 2D Mario platformer on console for how long? 18 years? No wonder the Wii became supply limited again, when all the old school NES and SNES gamers wanted a new, real, 2D Mario platformer after having been left behind around the late SNES and early N64 era. It's what an awful lot of people want to play, and it took Nintendo this long to finally get that through their heads.
Besides, the game is awesome. Local multiplayer, cool music, great gameplay, no half baked attempt at telling a silly story in a game that doesn't need one, cool power-ups and more fun than most games. Perfect? No. Still awesome, though.

Leon said:
Sega does what Nintendon't.
You mean like run themselves out of the console business? :wink:

On the topic of Heavy Rain, though...
There was also a clip from a somewhat interactive in-game sex-scene on youtube, but it's been taken down. Just as well, it was really creepy. The shower scene, shaving scenes and others were pretty bad, too...

The game in general seems to be more like a wannabe movie than a game, imo, though it fails as both a game (too little player control, too little meaningful choices and generally being a big cutscene collection) and as a movie (stopping and asking for meaningless input all the time, looks bad, a story that seems even worse than most normal video games), and so on.

Likely, sales will dive after the first few weeks after the hype dies down.

I played the demo last night, and rather enjoyed it. Will probably pick this up on my next set of days off.

I don't want to play a movie. I want to play a game. Motherfuckers think cinematics everyone will remember equals a cool game. Thus, Call of Duty tries to jam as much cool shit in there as possible. Nuclear weapon detonation that has no effect on the plot (you know, getting other countries besides good Russians and Brits to help)? LOL TOTALLY AWESOME. Nuclear weapon detonation that destroys the International Space Station, setting back many countries' space programs? EVEN MORE FUCKING AWESOME.

rcorporon said:
I played the demo last night, and rather enjoyed it. Will probably pick this up on my next set of days off.

Come back and give us a review when you finish it.

Back