It all comes tumbling down, tumbling down.

It helps one to realize that they're primarily sandbox developers, and after that, they coat their sandboxes with light RPG elements, which of course does not suit a series like Fallout. Their writing may not be strong or innovative, but they are capable of more choice and consequence. After Fallout 4, it should be clear they purposely choose not to do that because it's not as much of a priority to them as creating sandboxes.

This is of course unfortunate, and I would have loved to see Bethesda draw inspiration from New Vegas, for instance. This is also kind of comforting, because I don't need to wonder much about whether Bethesda will make a great RPG. I know it's extremely likely it won't happen, and I've accepted that.

Well they will undoubtedly make a profit. If there was one thing Bethesda did well for this game it was their marketing campaign. I honestly will be shocked if they don't make their money back.
I don't think Fallout 4 will win any rewards. The Witcher 3 has already got them beat for best RPG and GOTY. With the tension, hostility and pure unbridled hate that many people now have game "critics" they will undoubtedly try to play it safe unless they are that desperate for controversy and click bait.
Just like with Bioware I think people will now think twice when purchasing Bethesda games and be more cautious with them in the near future.

Hopefully, as long as people realize Bethesda isn't the Jesus of gaming I'm happy.
This
THIS
People can treat FO3/FO4 as digital crack if they want. But please stop calling their game the staple of open world, and don't even try on RPG. Bethesda being treated as second coming of jesus is what really gets on my nerves.

Nice to know others agree. I hate the reverence to Tom Howard. He's a fucking business man who wants to make money from YOU. He's not God.
Unfortunately, not many people have enough sense to realize this.

Well they will undoubtedly make a profit. If there was one thing Bethesda did well for this game it was their marketing campaign. I honestly will be shocked if they don't make their money back.
I don't think Fallout 4 will win any rewards. The Witcher 3 has already got them beat for best RPG and GOTY. With the tension, hostility and pure unbridled hate that many people now have game "critics" they will undoubtedly try to play it safe unless they are that desperate for controversy and click bait.
Just like with Bioware I think people will now think twice when purchasing Bethesda games and be more cautious with them in the near future.

Hopefully, as long as people realize Bethesda isn't the Jesus of gaming I'm happy.
This
THIS
People can treat FO3/FO4 as digital crack if they want. But please stop calling their game the staple of open world, and don't even try on RPG. Bethesda being treated as second coming of jesus is what really gets on my nerves.

Nice to know others agree. I hate the reverence to Tom Howard. He's a fucking business man who wants to make money from YOU. He's not God.

Good news for all Godd Howard acolytes - there's already a mod on the Nexus that lets you get your in-game shrine to His Toddness off to a proper start.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/534/?

:puke:

Last edited:
In breaking news my faith in the human race has dropped significantly. More at 11! :evil:

Last edited:
It helps one to realize that they're primarily sandbox developers, and after that, they coat their sandboxes with light RPG elements, which of course does not suit a series like Fallout. Their writing may not be strong or innovative, but they are capable of more choice and consequence. After Fallout 4, it should be clear they purposely choose not to do that because it's not as much of a priority to them as creating sandboxes.

This is of course unfortunate, and I would have loved to see Bethesda draw inspiration from New Vegas, for instance. This is also kind of comforting, because I don't need to wonder much about whether Bethesda will make a great RPG. I know it's extremely likely it won't happen, and I've accepted that.

This has actually helped me find some good amount of enjoyment from Fallout 4. I basically tune out the voiced protagonist and just go around the world like I used to and it is a good exploration game. There are lots of little stories to be uncovered through exploration and reading, which I am definitely glad to see they didn't remove. The second my main character opens his mouth though immersion breaks :(

This
THIS

Good news for all Godd Howard acolytes - there's already a mod on the Nexus that lets you get your in-game shrine to His Toddness off to a proper start.

The fuck... :confused:

This
THIS

Well....

95 total downloads out of 2,675 page views. Just sayin'.

This
THIS

Well....

95 total downloads out of 2,675 page views. Just sayin'.

Point taken, but I have to counter that a lot of FO4 players may not be aware there are any mods at all being released yet, and the real fanatic Toddlickers seem to be the noobs to the franchise, who may not even know the Nexus exists yet. Let's revisit those DL numbers in a month or so. :)

I really, really hope those 95 people who actually downloaded that do not include anyone I know. I'd have to re-evaluate the whole choosing my friends thing.

Last edited:

Hell man, I gave Skyrim's storytelling a lot of shit at release, but even that is golden compared to Fallout 4 in terms of choice, character agency, plots, etc. How does the design philosophy of the creative department get so much worse if not through a deliberate choice to make everything less intelligent, less complex? Fallout 4's writing is absolutely inane and I don't understand how so many people can be praising Bethesda for their "attention to detail" or "innovative worldbuilding" when all I see is the opposite in all areas.

How does the design philosophy of the creative department get so much worse if not through a deliberate choice to make everything less intelligent, less complex? Fallout 4's writing is absolutely inane and I don't understand how so many people can be praising Bethesda for their "attention to detail" or "innovative worldbuilding" when all I see is the opposite in all areas.

In my opinion someone made the decision to go for a wider audience and make it a shooter. They even bragged in marketing how it was taking inspiration from Destiny. That would have been great if they put as much time and energy into making it a role-playing game as well.

I saw a lot of people completely new to Fallout being excited for the new game and I think that is why Bethesda is getting a lot of praise - it's from new players that don't know what has been removed from what was once a role-playing game.

Unfortunately, true RPGs are now niche titles for minority audiences. Even worse, Fallout 3's lesser amount of RPG characteristics are now niche as well - the average video game consumer simply can't be asked to invest themselves even in Fallout 3's role playing characteristics let alone Morrowind or Fallout 1 and 2.

So what we are left with is a lot of new players believing Fallout 4 is the deepest game ever created. The same happened with Skyrim, a game with such shallow characterization relative to Oblivion and Morrowind.

This
THIS

Have you been to church? :confused: From the sound of it, all god wants is your money.

Hehehe.:newevil: It seems that Beth fanboys are starting to go into a meltdown now. They can't seem to admit that Beth fucked up and hard.

Wow, 86~88 Metacritic? I'm really surprised, even though I doubt it will have any real impact on sales. Still, I wonder if this will impact their decisions for TES6 and FO5.

People in the industry also get regularly laid off after projects are completed at an alarming rate. I mean, look at what happened at Irrational: the team makes a critically and financially successful game, and Ken Levine shuts down the whole studio because he's bored.

What? :confused: Bioshock Infinite went ridicously overbudget and if take Two didn't sent Rod Fergusson to rein Levine in the game would have risked to be released who-knows-when (the game was released only six months before the launch of the PS4/XB1). And then, despite all the time and money spent on it, it sold "only" 3.7 millions in the first two months, while cheaper projects sold more (Borderlands 2, NBA2K13). I have a really hard time taking Levine's parting message at face value.

This
THIS

Have you been to church? :confused: From the sound of it, all god wants is your money.

Don't mention that robbery.

Back