So in the end, did the Super Mutants add to anything?

Walpknut said:
It doesn't make any sense that Eden would need YOU, they guy whose fatehr you killed, and the guy who is been killing his troops for a good chunk of the game to do the crucial part of his plan? Why not send one of his soldiers? they seem fanaticaly loyal to the Enclave, its not an interestign story, it doesn't make sense. Eden's plan is compeltely stupid.
And the Enclave didn't have many fights with the mutants, if they had such problem with them why not just go into the Museum and empty their guns on the Ghouls, I mean a single Mr Gutsy can kill them all. They have robots and Brain controled deathclaws and the only they seem to do is have posts in random palces, they seem to have a shitload of Vertibirids. You can't call sloppy characterization and story "Suckering" and complex, no organization in the game world seem to have any purpouse, the Mutants in the Vault are jsut a few meters away from a Human factory (little lamplight) yet they prefer to go from Germantown to Bigtown and then back to the Vault, WHY? The enclave patrols seem to be incredibly stupid fucks that just attack anyone that they see, you would think that if they bothered making a radio show spreading propaganda they would at least try to recruit Wastelanders and make active trading, at least to use them as pack mules. THATS BAD STORYTELLING and TERRIBLE worldbuilding.

I agree with everything... except the part about the Enclave at the end of course. Enclave have Vertibirds (far too fucking many but whatever) for transportation of goods and to recruit mainlanders in any sense would be silly, the Enclave don't need them and to comprimise on something like that. What would be better is if they had no stupid radio at all, I hypothesised that it was Eden simply LARPing being a real President and not a machine which gained power through a poorly explained mechanism, which I can only assume is the Presidential Line of Succession. The broadcasts had the potential to draw unncessary attention to the Enclave and risk lives. Fuck Eden.

All F3 super mutants added is one more reason for us fallout fans to be pissed, i mean not the super mutants existence in the game but the reason they were there, didn't make any sense, they just said:

- super mutants...cool, let's put them in the game

Pisses me off

Dirty_Harry said:
All F3 super mutants added is one more reason for us fallout fans to be pissed, i mean not the super mutants existence in the game but the reason they were there, didn't make any sense, they just said:

- super mutants...cool, let's put them in the game

Pisses me off

As well as make the Vaults actual experiments as opposed to social ones... fuckers.

The mutants don't complete the Enclave cannon wise, but as far as story wise in what the player is thinking, thier perfect. If it was not for them thier would be no reason the player would be tempted to infect the water. Thier would not be that much of a compelling arguement if the mutant threat was just abunch of old ghould hiding in underworld. Playing it I wondered if Eden was right, the Brotherhood are losing the war of attrition. How many of lyons brotherhood do you see, 50 maybe, 100 tops, but the mutants are everywhere. The Mutants are compelling because even though the Enclave are bastards the brotherhood are out of thier league.

The Mutants mostly have very useless locations under their power, none of the places they occupy serve any porpuse for anything, The capitol is completely worthless, The barracks near the Washington Monument are even more useless, they occupy some random tunnels, and a destroyed house, the only moment they actualy become a liability is when you figth them inside the Jeferson Memorial.
So they don't actualy complement each other in the story or canon, but THEY DO according to.... well according of what you would like for it to be? The mutants in FO3 are not compelling, they have no plan, no porpouse, no tactics, nothing,they are not even a treat to the PC or most BoS NPCs, they are just random minibosses for you to fight.

yeah ... that is the sad truth. There was nothing behind the SMs in Fallout 3 except the "HURR DURR MOAR HOAMANS TO KILL/EAT/DIP !!!"

Your random generic orc. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I've seen very little cannons in the fallout games I've played. You opened up that one place in F2 with a howitzer, which I guess counts as a cannon, but I still don't get it why half the guys in this thread go on and on about cannons.

Well considering in this non canonical world, there is a different strain of FEV, right? Then how is it wrong if they behave differently? Just my 2c.

I personally only thought of them as an income of xp, ammo and caps.

Atomkilla said:
They are going on about canon, not cannon.

You'd think so, but if you look closely there's a lot of misspelling going on around here, so I figured I should be a smartass about it.

They really shoe-horned the FEV in.

I suggest someone make a mod to change the super mutants skin to brown or something and their origin from FEV mutants to genetically engineered human super soldiers. And they can reproduce.

Because I found it weird that the Super Mutants could actually make more of themselves. Last time I heard FEV was hard to come by. And with reproduction they can do it easily.

Hey, did I just solve the strange backstory/plotholes of the super mutants in F3?

^^^^

Still would have preferred an original opponent instead.
Or to be honest, no Bethesda's Fallout 3.

I know you mean well but please no more projects to create genetically engineered super soldiers in Fallout.
There was only FEV and that was it, and it was created and mass produced on the West Coast.

No other FEV producing facilities anywhere else in North America or the Fallout world for that matter, so no Chinese attempts at creating their own super soldiers.

Whenever people come up with such plots it makes me more think that people lack the creativity to come up with their own ideas and perhaps better not try to come up with them.

Its not meant as an insult, sometimes you are simply better in other matters.
My friend Kevin is great at ActionScript but I honestly suck at it to the point that I feel like an idiot when I try to write from my own memories, doesn't mean I am incompetent at everything.

You don't like genetically engineered super soldiers?

How about this: In vault 87, the people slowly reverted back to their animal instincts, and they evolved into these super mutants (only brown) over time.

I'd like it.

Christ Vault 87 really has to be one of the most illogical places in F3.

1. I was completed in 2071, four years before FEV even become FEV and was still the PIV.

2. Directly violates the Vaults being Enclave-monitered social experiments.

3. It was only militarised in Jan 2077, so they then gave it to Vault-Tec to massively redesign a Vault to test it in there; oh and if you read some of the terminal entries the Vault was closed and testing on it's inhabitants before the bombs had even dropped as one of the scientists makes reference to Vault-Tec and Mariposa being on his back. Not, you know, the Enclave whom have already been established as the Experiments creator and continued monitering them from the ENCLAVE.

An absolute mess.

It was also ridicolous because, as you noted, now the Vaults closed months before the war but their experiments still started immediately after they closed. So...what if the bombs never fell? How would they hid to the general public the experiments? Hell, in the case of Vault 87 what if they ran out of test subjects? They would simply re-open the vault and let new people in?

A mess, indeed.

The supermutants are the anchor for the fallout storyline. Without the supermutants then why would be the brotherhood by in DC in the first place.

Back