Why do people think New Vegas was actually good?

Dumby will spam out a flowchart as if the main quest isn't just picking a different faction to send you to do volare, or the khans quest,
You do realise that even if you are doing those same quests, the outcomes and choices you can make are different. For instance, you can ignore the Boomers to leave them stuck at Nellis, you can kill their leaders to break them apart for good, you can complete the quest but alter their relationship to the outside by deciding which faction controls the Mojave at the end.

The Khans, even more so; have them make a deal with the NCR which screws them in the back, be a Legion advocate which screws them in the back, leave them alone which may cause them to fall apart based on which faction controls the Mojave, be a Legion advocate and then make the NCR win which screws them even more by making them known allies of a hostile opponent, or save the Khans by convincing them to leave and restoring their faith in their legacy.

Plus some quests will be locked out. I imagine you DO know that if you side with the Legion, you can't do NCR quests (in fact, you could be the assassin you were supposed to stop in the NCR route). But seeing this trollish behavior, I imagine that this kind of knowledge is non-existent to you.

good-riddance-to-bad-rubbish.png
"Why did House rely on Courier?"
I thought another reason was after Benny's betrayal, House realizes that he can only trust a third party in this case plus seeing as you are one of the people he hires, it makes sense that he would trust you to see your job through. Plus the fact you survived and made it to him is probably grounds for hiring the Courier.

I'm actually saddened he left. Now I'm in quarantine bored. He was an amusing carcass to knaw into though.

New Vegas is a collective delusion, it never existed so it can't be bad, nor it can't be good. What we see and what we seem is but a dream. A dream within a dream and yada yada yada

@CerberusGate

That was the other reason, but I do believe House compliments you on how resourceful you are, and remarks how they are little more than tribals in suits at one point. I tend to think he could have just hired someone to do the job (locally) but he wanted someone that he could trust at least a little bit. He thought Courier would be tempted by all the money and status. Someone he was keeping a good eye on from the start. I think he even took advantage of Courier having amnesia to a certain extent. But yeah you can't trust tribals to destroy the BoS and broker a deal between warring factions.

Can you make your point here coherent please? Which specific quest are talking you about, which NPC do you mean, and which specific supply run do you refer to?
I'll give you the time of day because your pretty civil and actual like to talk about this. The quest restoring hope is what I was referring too. Its attached to alot of smaller quests that are all pretty weak and underwhelming, all of these should be lumped as one, doesn't even include the relocated first recon team helping in the siege (I get you wanna tell me about the time restraints, but that really weakens them even being moved here). The radio one in the same camp about the frequencies needing an update is a bland test of patience that has you go back and forth to some of these locations just to waste your time to ask for verification on things in person despite you giving them incripted codes so they should be able to resolve that with the radios on their own.
But yeah, being told I'm picking out niche details is really just feeling like your aiming to discredit any points I make rather then give out a proper counter point.
Y'alls admin defends me 'nitpicking' Caesar by saying its in character for him to be a dumbass so he should make stupid choices. Which furthers my own point about NV being solely an evil faction if he's just some incompetent shit that in NV basically just commits evil acts against everyone so he can be in charge.
Meanwhile the NCR isn't just good guys, which I disagree with considering you can get them to make peace with any faction thats not entirely violent and evil.
So lastly I'll just say it this way, better moves from obsidian would be cutting the radio quests and actually putting in some shit that makes the brotherhood do something after you finish that quest to reflect an effect on them you had.
Take your pic as reference, its still just killing him, talking to him, or breaking his shit avoiding conflict I assume. Does he ever exist again after the encounter if you don't kill him? I'm asking seriously because I don't know myself. Really, their isn't much of a point to sparing him if it concludes the same way if you kill him and I'd bet money on that happening which is the thing that disappoints me in all of the newer games. That just blows compared to some minor follow through. I mean it's kinda lame that being the ambassador for the ncr or legion when dealing with the boomers plays out the same as if you randomly walk up without any mission in mind.
But yeah, I'll peace out because I've got an admin trying to goat me into a ban, as if I've been an troll for not taking his preferred stance on it.

Plus some quests will be locked out. I imagine you DO know that if you side with the Legion, you can't do NCR quests (in fact, you could be the assassin you were supposed to stop in the NCR route). But seeing this trollish behavior, I imagine that this kind of knowledge is non-existent to you.
That's great and the best variant of this quest. The other 3 are all focused on stopping it. Bringing up the 1/4 options that is pretty different (inverted like I have said in one of my other posts) and ignoring the 3/4 sides being incredibly samey should show that your looking to excuse the game for that quest being samey.

Nobody is trying to get you banned unless you have more than one account. Continue on debating these sane gentlemen here and you are fine. Another noob had two accounts at exactly the same time you and your buddy came on here. We never get this many noobs at once so it is logical to check your ip which I did. I talked to the other dude and we settled his duplicate account. Carry on.

I got called Admin boss. I meant no disrespect.

*hangs head low without making eye contact*

Staff Member, Admin, whatever. We're all equally worthless here compared to the Gigachads that got NV figured out.

I'll give you the time of day because your pretty civil and actual like to talk about this. The quest restoring hope is what I was referring too. Its attached to alot of smaller quests that are all pretty weak and underwhelming, all of these should be lumped as one, doesn't even include the relocated first recon team helping in the siege (I get you wanna tell me about the time restraints, but that really weakens them even being moved here).

And what exactly is wrong with this quest? Its a nice side-quest where the player is allowed to do tasks that actually help aid the effort to retake Nelson. Again it also has C&C even in this small quest. You can choose to rush past the whole thing and only get the minimum of trained troops or attempt to put effort to ensure you have the best morale possible. Also here's how I know your blatantly bullshitting- you can acquire the rangers from maxing out the morale avenues to aid in the assault.

jAbnhHM.png

Although if you meant by the rangers not being in Restoring Hope until the end (assuming you've done all the tasks for morale), again this is another shameless plywood gathered nitpick for such a minor quest. Even with their inclusion, how does it weaken the overall plotline of this sidequest? The player should be rewarded with higher quality troops for doing all the tasks needed. Also the general meat of this quest wasn't supposed to be all in your face in the beginning, thats what the climax is for when you retake Nelson. The introduction as is mantle piece toward that.. its basic elementary introduction - rising action - climax - then resolution. Something Besthesda struggles with.

Y'alls admin defends me 'nitpicking' Caesar by saying its in character for him to be a dumbass so he should make stupid choices. Which furthers my own point about NV being solely an evil faction if he's just some incompetent shit that in NV basically just commits evil acts against everyone so he can be in charge.

Can no character have flaws to you? Would you rather have bland characters like in 3 and 4 who are nearly one dimensional? Caesar by himself is a serviceable character, if not written well for against other RPGs that released around Vegas' time. You say he's a "dumbass" but when confronted with an explanation with motive and ideology, he literally can put up points that are extremely interesting and compelling. Compared to General Augustus in 3 and Director Shaun in the form of (pukes a little) the Institute.. we can clearly see who's a better written character.

and clearly he's not incompetent at all. He's had the NCR on the ropes, started an Empire from 1 "pissant" tribe as he sometimes acclaims, and with a will so grounded he made his Romaboo fantasy possible in the Post-Nuclear wasteland of all things. Caesar as a character can be discounted for flaws (which any characters in a good media should have), but lauding him as a dumbass is just a nil point.

better moves from obsidian would be cutting the radio quests and actually putting in some shit that makes the brotherhood do something after you finish that quest to reflect an effect on them you had.

How much had Obsidian cut already from the game, but it still managed to be a renowned cult classic? Again its just more circular nitpicks because you have no coherent argument.

Take your pic as reference, its still just killing him, talking to him, or breaking his shit avoiding conflict I assume. Does he ever exist again after the encounter if you don't kill him? I'm asking seriously because I don't know myself. Really, their isn't much of a point to sparing him if it concludes the same way if you kill him and I'd bet money on that happening which is the thing that disappoints me in all of the newer games.

The main meat of my point of reference is how much choice you have to the situation according to how you RP the Courier. Its 1 modicum in the 1st part of "Still in the Dark" and it has achieve more than Bethesda ever bothered to take account in either 3 or 4 in their questline writing.

His fate beyond of what you choose is unnecessary because he's a plot point to gain trust with the Brotherhood of Steel after you've barged into their bunker in a lockdown. If Bethesda even (shudders) made this quest, they would've had it that the Courier just gains the trust of the BoS through some BS because they wouldn't think of anything imaginative to justify gaining that trust, even such as an outsider dealing with West Coast BoS.

To boot you also talk about newer games, but Fallout 4- the game literally after NV would never have none of the things presented here. It would've been a shoot up regardless without multiple ways of dealing with the situation. Your style is really predictable at points- you make it seem you critique other games, but really your bias all coincides into Vegas. Same reason why you brought up Bioshock for no reason and why you pretend to critique 3 but clearly that game is up your alley more than anything.

I mean it's kinda lame that being the ambassador for the ncr or legion when dealing with the boomers plays out the same as if you randomly walk up without any mission in mind.

What is the meaning of this? No matter what faction you choose, you decide the fate of the Boomers with 3 choices on how you get to deal with them, regardless of faction. Again its a matter of game fiat because they are a variable you interact with in the main quest. Also again you nitpick to make it seem your arguments are credible- of course if you approach Nellis and make it to the gate without any of the missions from the factions tacked on the results will be the same. Your literally engaging in the introduction sequence to make contact (dodging the artillery with timed runs taking cover in the houses, then making it to the gate). You can actually complete Volare before getting to the Chip part of the main questline to save you trouble later. So what was the point of even mentioning that?

Addendum: Also even if go make contact on behalf of your chosen faction, why would you outright mention you allegiance to a highly militant, territorial, distrust of outsiders faction that fast right off the bat of meeting them? A true Agent would gain trust first (or simply leave them alone altogether if you choose to) before revealing such big information about themselves. You keep running around like a headless chicken to make nil nitpicky asinine points to forward your view "NVs quests" are bad and simplistic, when clearly you got nothing worth even a 1 star rating in your kitchen.

All in all I'm happy you bothered to scramble yourself back in here, but you still haven't redeemed your reasoning why you think "NVs Quests" are simplistic when all evidence points to the contrary, even after when I lovingly gave you FOUR well-written (5 actually since I edited in Beyond the Beef later in the post) quests that blow almost all Bethesda's putrid attempts at storytelling combined in their 3 iterations insofar (3,4, and 76). I assume since your deliberately ignoring that by default you acquiesce that your completely wrong and came here with no credible arguments to debate with?

Last edited:
Except people have explained why his decision to send you alone to the bunker isn't stupid in the slightest and why he forgives past trangressions that you may have committed after you get the platinum chip. But of course that will go against your agenda that Caesar is "dumb", so you are having an hard time just accepting that he isn't.

But honestly, i'm just done with this argument. People have shown evidence from the game why a lot of your criticisms are complete bullshit that are backed up by literally nothing. But if you are just gonna loop the same shit over and over, then there's no point in continuing.

And what exactly is wrong with this quest? Its a nice side-quest where the player is allowed to do tasks that actually help aid the effort to retake Nelson. Again it also has C&C even in this small quest. You can choose to rush past the whole thing and only get the minimum of trained troops or attempt to put effort to ensure you have the best morale possible. Also here's how I know your blatantly bullshitting- you can acquire the rangers from maxing out the morale avenues to aid in the assault.

jAbnhHM.png
Although if you meant by the rangers not being in Restoring Hope until the end (assuming you've done all the tasks for morale), again this is another shameless plywood gathered nitpick for such a minor quest. Even with their inclusion, how does it weaken the overall plotline of this sidequest? The player should be rewarded with higher quality troops for doing all the tasks needed. Also the general meat of this quest wasn't supposed to be all in your face in the beginning, thats what the climax is for when you retake Nelson. The introduction as is mantle piece toward that.. its basic elementary introduction - rising action - climax - then resolution. Something Besthesda struggles with.
I'm talking about the fact you can sort out shit at camp mccarren first, they have the sniper team go there after and they do nothing to help you even if you handle all the busywork in the camp and max the moral.
I also love that snip of the moral and not the chart of how to up it. ear and dogtag collecting fetch quests are truly such greatly designed quests, make sure you don't rush this part gang :D.
The supply run is incredibly simple, literally walking back and forth to fetch some shit and kill some grunts because the ncr struggles to do even the most basic tasks on their own. Helping the doc with patients is equally as weak as its just collecting some medical supplies or having a decent skill and spending a few seconds getting free xp for something that might as well be an unmarked quest. The idea of routing out a theif is a good idea, but NV npcs turn into Bethesda style ones with how twitchy the dude that did it is, on top of the fact there are so few named npcs here. On top of the sillyness that more ncr troopers are dead compared to saved as you go through this quest, which kinda defeats the idea of helping them "freeing up men". I've already talked about return to sender too much to repeat how utterly boring and bland it is again.

Can no character have flaws to you?
Nice taking me out of context here. You are right. There is no problem at all with the leader of a growing major faction in the game displaying immense amounts of incompetence. The leader of all groups should be complete morons in fact. Its greatly written as it is he treats someone that has aided the legion at every point possible the same as someone that has sabotaged all his plans up at every possibility that arose.
Their is a difference between having flaws and lazy design. Flaws build up a character, but him just treating the player with the same degree of trust regardless of their past experiences with the legion is lazy.
and clearly he's not incompetent at all.
Thats the issue. He isn't that incompetent, until you get to interact with him for the first time. The he just decides to be a retard because the plot needs to happen.

What is the meaning of this? No matter what faction you choose, you decide the fate of the Boomers with 3 choices on how you get to deal with them, regardless of faction.
Nothing changes with how you deal with the factions. Sorry if I expected my choices to effect how things play out here, being this is part of the main conflict in the game.
NV has great things in it, but I see alot of you will defend even the parts that are pretty terrible, like how out of character someone that has been a proven intelligent leader able to come out on top of many past conflicts suddenly makes horrible choices for no sensible reason like trusting an anti-legion character to do him a solid. No matter what you chose to do one of the most important npcs in the game doesn't respond to any of your choices such great rp, that it streamlines you into the same conversation and responses. Consequences for my past actions? Nah just wipe my slate cleaner a new game so plot can happen, and cut the balls off the most ruthless leader in the Dam conflict.

pretend to critique 3 but clearly that game is up your alley more than anything.
Fallout 3 has no main conflict at the end and its fucking terrible. Both the BoS and the Enclave want the purifier to be working and to distribute clean water throughout the wastes. The way papa talks about is before BS (fitting initials) is the whole river would be pure clean water. FFS, its easy to see how fucking poor the story and consistency of fallout 3 waivers and goes to shit.
But hell if the crowning achieve of fallout NV is "its got a better story than 3" then its also terrible lol. If that is actually the best defense you have for your points is "its ok because 3 worse" then your really desperate to defend NV

I wonder if New Vegas is not a good enough RPG for BigBoi then what is? Just leave out any other Fallout game. Name one RPG better than New Vegas. I am curious about what game that would be.

You say you don't like Fallout 3 but that is just your Troll Defense. Nobody fucking comes in here talking shit unless they are a Codexer or a Bethesdafag. You are too retarded to be a Codexer so that about narrows it down.

Tell us what a good game is to you BigBoi. Name some of your favorites.

Huh, he's still here? I actually woke up from a nap!
Basically he still hasn't formed any adequate arguments to rationalize his argument. Also he would be able to probably list his favorites, but I'm pretty sure we know what type of games he likes at this point. He's getting fairly predictable at this point. Anyway to answer him directly now:

Nothing changes with how you deal with the factions. Sorry if I expected my choices to effect how things play out here, being this is part of the main conflict in the game.

Because some quests in the main questline overlap with somethings, especially when it comes to the part when you have to deal with the minor factions? Also again- your granted enough choice to deal with these factions the way you want to, just enough to be palpable considering how much time Obsidian was granted to work on NV. With how much time Fallout 4 got and it implementing its own brand of multi-faction gambit with its own OC factions, tell me if there is any a sliver of choice in how you deal with anything going forward with your premiere choice?

.. You can't, because Bethesda cookie cut it from NV without understanding how it works at all. Insultingly enough they had 5 years to make it, but still end up with a completely shit game, RPG, and Fallout despite once again- having the privilege of having all the time in the world to develop it.

Nice taking me out of context here. You are right. There is no problem at all with the leader of a growing major faction in the game displaying immense amounts of incompetence. Th

I didn't take you out of context here at all, thats just how you consider Caesar at a surface level and thats why your argued with at this point. The development of Caesar was a product of his time- literally from a meta perspective. Obsidian needed things to be moved along to continue the story.

Yes he reacts the same even if you sabotage him, but literally the whole point of the Mark of Caesar when Vulpes contacts you or you meet him at Fortification Hill is to still have an avenue to recenter on what faction you want to choose before the main quest gets on the "rising action" part of the story. If anything all those feats against Legion would get Caesar more interested in subverting the Courier to his side if you go consider his offer to aid him, even after all the sabotages. He respects people who can get things done with good results, just like what numerous people in this thread have mentioned before.

But hell if the crowning achieve of fallout NV is "its got a better story than 3" then its also terrible lol. If that is actually the best defense you have for your points is "its ok because 3 worse" then your really desperate to defend NV

Even without 3 its even promptly still a better written game than what they even attempted with 4 with FIVE years to work on the game. 76- a pure Vietnam napalm bomb shitshow. Honestly what do you hope to accomplish here? You still haven't explained your argument why NVs questline writing is simplistic or bad with numerous examples against that objectively shit opinion, your points are always circular nitpicks where you dig at basic video game fiats as if they slashes against NVs worth, and none of your arguments are structured coherently to warrant any considerable respect.

I'd also like to know what RPG games you even claim to play too, because your taste in the genre is bad if you think NV has bad writing for what it pushed out with only 17 months.

I also love that snip of the moral and not the chart of how to up it. ear and dogtag collecting fetch quests are truly such greatly designed quests, make sure you don't rush this part gang

Okay and? I've already established that its not supposed to be all in your face rushed, its a build up- little tidbits that add onto the quest. Its purely optional to do them at all- again its your choice. Obsidian can be lauded with even bothering to deal with such small things that can impact the quest anyways. Where have you seen Bethesda do this whenever they have similar fetch quests? Atleast here the player is rewarded with a better quality contingent of troops. Beth would have you do that "busywork" (the epitome that company dishes out all the time, especially in the form of their worst OC faction after finally making some themselves- the Minutemen) and just have a flat check past it with no difference at all.

Helping the doc with patients is equally as weak as its just collecting some medical supplies or having a decent skill and spending a few seconds getting free xp for something that might as well be an unmarked quest

Ah yes, criticize the use of skills- a staple RPG element that Bethesda ripped out of 4 because their self-aware that they mostly cannot write. Even before 4 came out where it was only 3 and NV to contest eachother, Fallout 3 barely had checks that utilized the skills you gathered at all- with NV has a ton of them in the game at key moments to make your builds feel worthwhile. I don't even understand why you lambast against this part when its one of the high notes NV is praised for- having your build be respected due to being an RPG.

On top of the sillyness that more ncr troopers are dead compared to saved as you go through this quest, which kinda defeats the idea of helping them "freeing up men".

Its war. Your going to lose men no matter what- its how war works in real life. The main goalpost is to achieve success with each battle or strategical debacle to garner victory.

Last edited:
then your really desperate to defend NV
You sound way more desperate to criticize New Vegas than everyone defending it, to the point of parody. Your arguments are unironically reaching levels of parody at this point.

That's great and the best variant of this quest. The other 3 are all focused on stopping it. Bringing up the 1/4 options that is pretty different (inverted like I have said in one of my other posts) and ignoring the 3/4 sides being incredibly samey should show that your looking to excuse the game for that quest being samey.
You do realize the game justifies this via the context and reasons for saving the president being different even if the quest is the same. For House, it's to prevent the president from being made into a martyr (in order to make him and General Lee Oliver into scapegoats for failing to annex Vegas) and to keep a trade partner stable (unless you missed this explanation somehow. Even the wiki brings it up); for Independent, it's the same reason as a newly formed nation cannot have an unstable nation in opposition to theirs (especially seeing as their president died in Vegas) and for NCR, it's plainly obvious.

Unless the developers are supposed to make all new, all different quests for the same purpose (keeping the President alive) which is impractical from a development standpoint, I don't see this as excusing the game. Plus there will be variants if, on House and Independent, you are not friendly with the NCR like not having full access to the surrounding vicinity and needing disguises. Unless you happen to be a better quest designer?

giphy.gif

Btw, it's you're, not your. Try to keep up with grammar and comprehensiveness at least.

Last edited:
It doesn't really seem like it's worth writing books to this dude. But I am glad it stirred up conversations and we got another good laugh along the line.

It doesn't really seem like it's worth writing books to this dude. But I am glad it stirred up conversations and we got another good laugh along the line.

Happens once a year, doesn't it? Some bored Bether comes around trying to start the same ol' same ol'.

I don't know what the Codex does, I have waded there and it alludes me. I got Temple of Elemental Evil from it, though

What else is there to do with since quarantine season has started? He's going to burn out with things to say eventually anyway- he has no credible or compelling arguments to support the shitty proposition he came in with:

so there isn't a reason not to like it other then most quests feeling boring due to most being overly simple due to presentation and busywork.
Unless your a story elitist which should turn you off anything from 3 and up

The quests found in Fallout NV were the best past all its modern peers, held a plethora of complex interesting quests with multiple presented choices on how to deal with each situation, and the main course of quests without specifically only delving into the ones with obviously lack of work to it because there was not enough time- Fallout NV is the only competently made modern Fallout. One that actually felt like the previous isometric classics, but while adopting the newness to spark a critical acclaimed classic for the ages in its own right.

Not only that BiggumsSoy in his proposition talks about story elitism..? If his main points (because past this post he squarely went on a blithering tirade on only the main questline with baseless nitpicks instead of focusing on the other quests diverged from it) were all about lambasting the poor supposed quality of NV's story, why mention story elitism in the context of NV vs "3 and up"? Its almost as he insinuates by his own writing that Fallout NVs main story IS exceptionally done, so we should turn off our critical analyses skills to find Fallout 3 and 4's story even broaching palpable in comparison..

Again its not like he came to this site particularly prepared to defend any of his points, so lets just watch in amusement as he flounders around not knowing any credible points to defend his argument beside rootless nickpicks.

Last edited:
Back