xboxone

here is something i posted on another forum, critiqe and point out my flaws if you want, i encourage it.

i know there is an error, the 7850 M is not comprable to the 460, most are saying its actually comparable to the 420 or less.

the PS4 holds the technological edge over the xboxone

just like last generation.

GPU:
PS4: AMD 7850 M, 1 gig reserved DDR5 system ram, on die
Xbox: same as above, but DDR3 ram, and lower clock rate

for comparison, the 7850 M is the laptop GPU and is as powerful as an nvidia 460. it will be a much less powerful version as they are using a custom fabrication system, and will occupy 2 dies on a 6 die cpu layout. it will feature lower clock speeds and lower discrete units and lower computational power.

CPU:
PS4: Jaguar AMD CPU with the APU ( gpu above ) on-die which eliminates many throughput systems as it is near instantaneous transfer between GPU and CPU as they sit on the same die. this architecture is designed to provide AMD an "in" on laptops, tablets, and cell phones. they will be made on a 6 die CPU layout, with the GPU cores getting 2 die slots, and the other 4 going for the CPU dies. of those 4, one is reserved for the OS, leaving the other 3 open for apps with when running 5.1 or 7.1 sound systems one of the spare CPUs will take the load off the CPU for sound processing leaving less than the full 3 CPUs for the apps.
Xbox: same as above, but again lower clocks.

PS4 is expected to run at a 2.1-2.3 ghz, xbox 1.8-1.9 ghz. additionally for the xbox, they have stated that of the 6 original dies, 2 is gpu, and 2 is the os, and 2 for apps, most likely due to kinect processing getting a dedicated CPU core.

now microsoft is not saying anything about this, BUT sony has admitted that the PS4 will be able to draw blu-ray disc's at their native 1080 without upscaling, but when playing games it will run at a native 1/2 1080 or 960x540 at 60 FPS with upscaling technology. the xbox is running lower clock speeds so it is unknown if they can do the 1080 native for blu-ray and if they are even going to be able to do the 960x540 native @ 60 FPS like the PS4 of it will be a lower native resolution for games/blu-ray.

it appears that the maximum texture size for xbox is 32x32 k, which is a vast improvement over the old xbox texture size of 8x8 k, but nowhere near the standard PC texture size of 64x64, high of 128x128, or ultra high texture size of 256x256k. no word on the PS4 yet.

both will be running a 32 bit OS while maintaining 64 bit hardware other than the GPU which is a 256 bit hardware, while using the extended memory manager system allowing them to address more than 3.5 gigs of ram. they will be running a 42 bit memory manager to allow them to see/access the full 8 gigs of ram.

who comes out on top?

easy, the PC.

SnapSlav said:
What's leaving me puzzled is that, for a couple weeks, all of this fuss was over SPECULATION, because Microsoft had only alluded to these details of their new DRM, but they'd never come out and confirmed it, really. But NOW they've boldly stepped forth and deadpan-faced responded to all the criticism and questions with, "Yes, that's exactly what we want it to do..." and the uproar hasn't seemed to spike over THAT. Just the price tag...

I guess because by then people didn't need MSFT confirmation so they had already vented whatever they thought on the subject.

TheWesDude said:
now microsoft is not saying anything about this, BUT sony has admitted that the PS4 will be able to draw blu-ray disc's at their native 1080 without upscaling, but when playing games it will run at a native 1/2 1080 or 960x540 at 60 FPS with upscaling technology.

*sigh*

You are still going on with this crazyness? Ok, link?

sea, it all made sense if you understand computer technology.

and i dont do drugs. i get tested every month.

TheWesDude said:
sea, it all made sense if you understand computer technology.

Then I guess you don't understand computer technology. I'm still waiting links and sources for the "Sony has admitted that games will run at 960x540 upscaled" part. Shouldn't be hard finding them since the consoles are new and are being discussed on the net right now.

Man, I'm so cynical. How can I doubt a guy that tells me that a console that will release in 2013 has only a 12% increase in resolution compared to a console released in 1998?

Stanislao Moulinsky said:
Mattrick: "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360"

Holy hell...

They honestly seem to be shooting themselves in the foot right now. I'm not planning to buy a console but the PS4 seems better by a country mile, from the lack of DRM to the lower price.

If I didn't already have the only true gaming platform (PC :D), I'd go for the PS4 too. It's a no-brainer at this point.

BTW, regarding Xbone, what's that talk about only 21 countries being supported at launch? Does this really mean the games won't work at all in all other countries, because then you can't activate them via Live?

I'm hearing rumors that official Xbox support twitter accounts are telling people to buy a 360 if they want to play games offline or in an unsupported country :shock:. This can't be real, can it?

To be honest, Xbox from day one has always been a joke to me. The Xbox 1 just shows people are finally wising to it.

Playstation's not much better but at least it has some real exclusives, something I've always noticed Xbox lacked (the only good one I can think of (and even this one I see debated often) is Morrowind for the original Xbox)

It's good that there is console competition to prevent monopolies in the market but I've always felt Microsoft was pretty pathetic.

fedaykin said:
BTW, regarding Xbone, what's that talk about only 21 countries being supported at launch? Does this really mean the games won't work at all in all other countries, because then you can't activate them via Live?

It's true. They don't garantee that the console will work if you aren't in one of the listed countries. Poland is absent for the moment, for example.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...red-reacts-to-lack-of-xbox-one-in-poland.aspx

I'm hearing rumors that official Xbox support twitter accounts are telling people to buy a 360 if they want to play games offline or in an unsupported country :shock:. This can't be real, can it?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DxkEe_l7S3g?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0"></iframe>

The Xbox One will definitely get a lot of sales simply because of brand recognition and loyalty, but I somehow suspect Playstation 4 will do better in the long run. After watching both conferences, and being a long time fan of the Halo series, I would still prefer Playstation 4, but at the end of the day, nothing beats a mouse and a keyboard.

We don't need thousands of devices that are practically all the same and do the exact same things, but then again capitalism cares for nothing more than maximizing profits, everything else, including any presumed quality is expendable. People are quick to spend and quick to lose, and equally quick to protest.

Money and profit only exists among humans, the other life forms on this planet must be getting a kick out of us. Especially the "educated" in the field of finance in which some of them believe that because of their sophisticated understanding of markets and finance, they somehow understand how the world works.

Stanislao Moulinsky said:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DxkEe_l7S3g?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0"></iframe>

The Douchebag levels are too high...

Xobx One cofirmed a flop in any country that is not the USA.

The terms and conditions of the XB1:

* Requires broadband internet (ISP fees apply), a Microsoft account and an account on Xbox Live in an Xbox One-supported Xbox Live country/region, and 720p or higher HDMI-compatible TV. To receive live TV via broadcast or cable, supported receiver device (television tuner or cable/satellite set top box) with HDMI output and HDMI cable required (all sold separately).
* Additional subscriptions, internet speed and/or requirements apply for some features.
* Kinect Sensor for Xbox One (included) and periodic system software updates required for continued use; significant updates may be required during set-up and over time (ISP fees apply).
* Some games not transferable and have no resale value; restrictions on games usage apply.
* Games, Kinect and accessories made for Xbox 360 or original Xbox will not work with Xbox One.
* Xbox One system software uses a significant amount of storage; less internal storage will be available to users. 500 GB = 500 billion bytes.
* You must accept Xbox Terms of Use (including Xbox software terms and game license terms), Microsoft Services Agreement, and Xbox One 1-year limited warranty. Some games have additional license terms.
* Terms include binding arbitration with class action waiver to resolve disputes.
* Additional requirements will apply.

Keep digging that hole, MSFT. Sooner or later you'll pop up on the other side.

Kind of laughable an executive wouldn0t have the sense no to say "hey, if you don't like my product I spent millions of dollars on that I need to sell you, then just buy another console".

Rumor says Bill Gates pre ordered a PS4. :lol: Would be hilarious if it is true.

X-box One, the gift that keeps on giving.

Microsoft Alienates US Troops With The Always-Online Xbox One

The Xbox One from a service member’s perspective: Conversations I’ve had and heard on my last deployment.

Microsoft response? A non-response.

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection. Although we’re very excited about Xbox One, we remain dedicated to Xbox 360 now and for years to come. In fact, we are expecting some of the greatest blockbusters of 2013 and 2014 to come out on Xbox 360 such as ‘Grand Theft Auto V,’ ‘Call of Duty: Ghosts,’ ‘Madden NFL 25’ and ‘FIFA 14.’”

Serious question, with all the backlash it's receiveing do you think MSFT will cut this DRM bullshit or you think they have gone too far with contracts, deals and the like for that to be an option?

Edit. Wow.

On Xbone, getting banned from XBL maybe revokes(?) access to your games

sea said:
Sony, by contrast, has a very different company culture. Sure, Sony is still huge, but with that Japanese culture where personal responsibility of the people on top of the company and towards their customers, they are more likely to listen to the people keeping them in business and to admit that they made mistakes in the past.
There was a pretty humorous comic that poked fun at the apologetic nature of Japanese CEOs, as well.

But back to the serious question... Unfortunately, no. Just look at the original XBox, and you'll see that Microsoft jumped into the console market without having done their due diligence, short on research, and what changed over the course of that generation? Well they released XBox Live after a few YEARS, that's what. The major problem facing Microsoft's ability to adapt and respond correctly to their bad decisions... are their fans. Maybe it's just because I live in the United States, and it's the people here who are so vehemently pro-XBox no matter what is or isn't bad about it, but the Microsoft apologists are just unreal. I'm a huge fan of the guys at Roosterteeth, but it worried me when I first heard all the TERRIBLE decisions Microsoft was making that they would probably still stick by them, because of how their business is so closely tied to the success of the XBox line. Sure enough, the very next RT Podcast following the X1 reveal, the guys at Roosterteeth were talking about the uproar as if it was unjustified, and even RATIONALIZING ways for all the DRM to "make sense". I love those guys, but they ARE clueless fanboys when it comes to the consoles, because as their president even said, "Who cares [what Japan thinks about consoles]? America is all that matters, right?" =/

sea

its not that they dont care about the customers, the problem is because there are so many groups and people that have to check off on stuff, it becomes "institutionalized" development. no single person or group is "responsible" because of how many there are.

they play pass the buck.

and thats where you get massive amounts of "bad" ideas like that went into Xbone is because the pro-publisher or pro-lawyer people suggest these things and people up the chain agree so it gets worked on. because DRM will always make management and publishers happy. even if it is ineffective.

you are right, they cannot move quickly to solve issues and problems. it is not really a size issue, it is that it has become less a business unit, and more an institutionalized business in its own right.

Back