The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Brother None, Dec 12, 2010.

1. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    Some new words on the new Shouting mechanic of Skyrim. Yes, shouting.

Some key bits.

2. Dario ff

Dario ff Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 19, 2008
    I'm pretty sure that will end up in just a silly minigame. In fact, you can assume that every bit that makes it sound "Wow!" will just be a minigame. : /

Regarding faces, has there been a single game that's been able to beat the expressions in Vampire Bloodlines? It's been nearly 5-6 years for that game and I haven't seen better since.

3. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    What they did with Oblivion was pure fabrication. But yeah, expect screenshots and videos to start popping up around 6 months (maybe 3?) before release and then they'll steadily start beating the drums faster and faster until their insane push the month before release. It's a reasonable marketing strategy as it means that people have less time to think about it and it's fresher in their mind. Marketing is the only thing Bethesda does well, and they excel at it.

4. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    It seems they might have gotten some of their inspiration from Diablo 2, what with "barbarian" shouts and the mountain you have to climb to reach grey beards a la Mount Arireat and the three warriors (and you know there will be something you have to fight up there too). Maybe not but I'm getting that impression.

I think they might hype this shout thing some more and do a Kinect integration as the mandatory MS exclusive addon this time around.

Also, lol at the article stating that tense is not really necessary in a language. Sounds like they're taking it far enough for their purposes though.

5. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    The battlecry has been great with the barbarians in Diablo 2 in my eyes. And geting in conversation and fight with the Nephalem on Areat was probably the most entetaining part of the whole game. As it feelt deep and ancient. I love such moments. Even when its just a mindless hack and slay game.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNxO8CqV3GY[/youtube]

Well no clue what to make out of those "dragon-shout-cry-language" magic in Skyrim. But I guess we have to wait and see.

*Edit
    Sure from reading about it it sounds interesting ... but knowing their habits. Might become a repetitive boring stupid mini-game ... I mean hey! Remember ? They wanted to make dialogues in anever see super cool intuitive way. Dialogue wheel anyone ... blargh. Hopefully they learned from it. Somewhat.

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    It isn't. There's a number of languages where it's vague enough it may well be non-existent.

What I don't see is, why there's a need to "design a new language" if it's just gonna be used a few random times. Either they're spending way too much time with this, or hyping it too much.

In any case, in the end it'll probably end up being just like shonen manga heroes shouting out their attack names :lol:

Also, if that's all that magic amounts to in the game, then it's effectively being reduced to a little special ability or move like the stuff they have in some action games. Reminds me of the stuff they had in Collapse.

7. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    There's also the problem of when you make up words for a fake language without and linguistic knowledge, the language sounds extremely fake.

Hahaha. To be fair, when done satirically it's hilarious. Too bad that isn't the case...

Agreed and unfortunately Bethesda is one of the worst in the business at making minigames.

8. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    This means there's a button dedicated to shouting.

And I thought games were going to go down the hole when they developed a button that shows you which direction you need to go.

Also, why do I have to hold the button down?

Does this mean that I basically have a knock everyone down and go into bullet-time button provided that I hold down a button long enough?

There's just something disconcerting about it.

9. Ausdoerrt

Oct 28, 2008
    There's that, too. It does sound like they're mashing all the different random stuff from existing and fictional languages together without much regard for verisimilitude.

I mean, really? :roll:

10. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    But it is. Vague =/= non-existent. I don't think there is any language with no tense structures of some kind.

11. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    Sooooo, we'll be shouthing at least once per battle? The idea scares me, it could become extremely annoying.

12. matthewfarmery

matthewfarmery It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 26, 2010
    that is does, so what button is going to be getting replaced?

http://www.burnyourbonus.co.uk/games/oblivion.html

I think the idea of a shouting button is silly and yes, sounds like a mini-game idea, and if it does become a mini-game, it will be annoying

I am having doubts about skyrim, after oblivion and fallout3, my hopes of a decent game from Beth has shrink over the years. This new edition (shouting) is starting to put me off the game, why should there be a button? unless its going to be something you use a lot, and by that, a great deal, something like in oblivion, you need to press the block key to block, maybe they are going to replace that with this shouting button?

but I have my doubts about the whole system, I hope its optional, but I bet it isn't :(

13. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    maybe the shouting will be some kind of VATS ... bullet time yaaaaaaaaaaaaay :D or not ... :?

Also: Killing Dragons gives you more skills or more choices with it ... awesome! Because killing them was never done before in any other game !!!

14. Ausdoerrt

Oct 28, 2008
    In Chinese verbs don't conjugate. So, if you have to add a time reference or a special article to indicate the past. There is no effective way to indicate future. So technically, there's no tense in Chinese.

15. Bad_Karma

Bad_Karma Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 17, 2007
    Hmmm somehow i get the feeling they're going to get rid of the magic system they had before.
    Other than that maybe they simply wanted to tell much and said 'shouting button' but meant the button for magic in which certain spells (like the dragon-shouts) can now be charged or something like that.

16. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    Somehow I fear that they'll just drop the class system and just let you play a barbarian who, instead of using magic, uses battlecries.
    You know, because the game is set in Skyrim and it's about dragons.

17. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    So you're saying Chinese doesn't make any tense.
    I'll get my coat.

18. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    well that would make sense ... if well Oblivion or Morrowind HAD a class system to begin with. Well they had none really. Everyone could master everything ;)

19. AskWazzup

AskWazzup Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 21, 2008
    I can already see mods for this shouting thing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ2QFmJ7h0A[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8_jgiNqUc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r37IYaFrCMU[/youtube]

20. Bad_Karma

Bad_Karma Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 17, 2007
    ^brillaint :)

Made laugh as much as when i saw the cool-face and such as mod for the Securitrons for New Vegas.